Me and My Muse

Saturday, October 07, 2006

What is Green...

The Tuesday evening of this week, Sandy-da and me were sitting on the terrace of Mukhu-da’s flat, waiting for him to return from market…

Chill gusts of light winds were the only thing to feel and blinding yellow spotlights from the construction works were peeping on us, proving they were the only ones to work at late hours.

After a last, demo week full of shows, enjoyment, traveling, Pujas, food, photography, hanging around and of course music, this week started with unnecessary burden of work and tiring boredom. Suddenly feeling a very scheduled and normal life, awkward!

It was on one of those evenings, when its easy to hang around boggling thoughts.

* The late night construction workers worked more than we did, and still get paid less. Why?

* Somehow I looked at the skyscraper opposite the Outer Ring Road and saw he lights of it were 'ON' only in vertically linear flats and once every four columns and 'OFF' in the others. Looked pretty unusual!

The discussion leaped these questions and hung around the third for sometime. Sandy-da suddenly started, “How do we define color?”

May sound pretty obvious answer for some, as I answered in the beginning, “Color is a combination of three HEX values representing R, G and B” …

The real question lied a little beyond that. Reframing it, “How would you explain someone, the way you see green?”

Well! Well! Well!

The thought quivered through a more generalized phase. In fact we can’t explain any of our five primary senses. Do we?


* Just like we can’t explain the way we see green;
* It is impossible to explain how I perceive the E note (I may be hearing E as someone else hears C and some other hears F) But it’s E to me and I don’t bother. Till I live I’ll know that’s “my E”;
* How about taste? Sweet, sour, pungent, hot … defined?
* About feel; hot, cold …?
* And nose; same thing about the nose!

We couldn’t figure out a justifiable answer for these. May be our capability of expression is not completely defined as well. Let it be. Let it be.

Why are these things so ambiguously defined? I later pondered about the sixth sense. Does it apply to it?

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger bharati said...

Dude, a thoughtful post again :-D

Hmmm, even I have pondered a lot of times on the absractness of human perception.

One of my friends just recently bowled me over with "Does tommorrow exist??". To this, I said, "It exists if we exist tommorrow". But tommorrow is absolute. It exists no matter whether tommorrow I exist or not. But, for me, it exists only if I do.

And everything finally seems to boil down to the "relative" and "absolute". The ,things we percieve are no doubt absolute: the unchanging. What we percieve them as would always be relative: with respect to us.
But, all that we are capable of is the relative perception, no matter what! And things would remain absolute, no matter what!

So, for me, till I die, tommorrow exists only if I exist tommorrow.

Me :-)

Monday, October 09, 2006 10:36:00 AM  
Blogger Arnab Pal said...

cool ..

but i think tomorrow is RELATIVE .. as everything else in this world ..

Monday, October 09, 2006 10:56:00 AM  
Blogger bharati said...

Yeah, very true!

So, for me, till I die, tommorrow exists only if I exist tommorrow. So, I admit the RELATIVE. ;-)

Monday, October 09, 2006 4:18:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home